Apple Health dental moving to managed care
Find information about the move of dental to Apple Health Managed Care in January 2019.
SSB 5883 passed during the 2017 legislative session, which requires the Health Care Authority to contract through the competitive procurement process with licensed dental health plans or managed health care plans to provide carved-out managed dental care services.
The goal is to implement a statewide managed care dental program by January 1, 2019.
The Health Care Authority (HCA) is partnering with the Washington State Dental Association, managed care organizations and other interested parties with the goal of increasing access to dental health services and better health.
Timeline of events
- Legislation passed: June 30, 2017
- Informational public meeting: September 6, 2017
- Informational public meeting: February 12, 2018
- Request for proposal (RFP) released: May 3, 2018
- Plan bids due to HCA: June 29, 2018
- HCA announces plan selections: August 6, 2018
- “Go live”: January 1, 2019
Important dates for potential bidders
- Bidder’s conference: May 9, 2018 (8 a.m. - 10 a.m.)
- In-person: Health Care Authority, 626 8th Ave. SE, Olympia (Sue Crystal Conference Room)
- Via webinar: Register now
- Deadline for Bidder questions: May 10, 2018 (by 2p.m. PST)
- Letter of Intent to Propose and Sign Data Share Agreement: May 11, 2018 (by 12 p.m. PST)
- HCA provides official answers to bidder questions: May 25, 2018
- Proposal for Final Network due: June 29, 2018 (by 2 p.m. PST)
Frequently asked questions
The following are lists of Apple Health dental providers with paid dental or CDT claims in ProviderOne, from January 1, 2010 through December 31, 2017:
- All dental providers
- Providers by CDT codes - part 1
- Providers by CDT codes - part 2
- Provider file data definitions
Note: HCA does not represent contracting with part or all of these dentists will ensure an adequate network as required by the procurement.
HCA will announce plan selections no later than 8/6/18.