The Health Care Authority is experiencing an issue with our phone system.
Please see the Contact HCA page for options.

PEBB - Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA)

For employees

A medical flexible spending arrangement (FSA) is only offered to PEBB benefits-eligible state and higher-education employees.

How an FSA can help

An FSA (also referred to as a flexible spending account) allows you to set aside money from each paycheck—before taxes—to pay for out-of-pocket health expenses.

  • FSAs help you pay for deductibles, copays, coinsurance, dental, vision, and many other out-of-pocket expenses. (See list of eligible expenses.)
  • FSAs let you set aside a portion of your pay, so they reduce your annual taxable income.
  • The full amount you set aside for your calendar FSA contribution is available on your first day of the plan year for expenses.
  • You can use your FSA for your or your dependent's health care expenses, even if they are not enrolled in your PEBB medical or dental plan.

Enrolling in an FSA

You can set up an FSA:

  1. When you become eligible for PEBB benefits. You must enroll no later than 31 days after you become eligible (usually on your first day of employment).
  2. During the PEBB annual open enrollment.
  3. During the plan year if you or an eligible family member has a qualifying event that creates a special open enrollment. You must enroll no later than 60 days after the event that created the special open enrollment.

You decide how much you want to contribute per pay period when you enroll. The minimum annual amount is $240, and the maximum annual amount is $2,500.

Using your FSA

When you incur a qualifying expense, you can submit a claim via our mobile app, online, or send a claim form by toll-free fax, mail, or email to request reimbursement. You also can sign up for a debit card tied to your account.

If you are enrolled on the last day of the plan year (December 31), you have an extended grace period from January 1 through March 15 of the following year when you can incur expenses and use up funds from the previous plan year. You must submit your claims no later than March 31 after the end of the plan year. If you don't file claims by March 31, your account will be closed and any balance remaining will be forfeited to the Washington State Health Care Authority. Once the money is forfeited you will not be able to claim it.

Learn more

The PEBB Program FSA is administered by Flex-Plan Services.